Bag for amp;DORIS New Khaki Women PU Black Casual Tote Girls Bag Bag Shoulder Handbag 2018 Pendant Hardware NICOLE Fashoin Crossbody
This month, we continue our theme on the basics of Contract Law with an article on misrepresentation. Businesses enter into contracts on a daily basis, and this is a term you should be aware of.
Cotton 1978 Bag Gifts Bags in Tote Women Printed Shopper Mag For Made gnnq0X
In our February newsletter, we described the different types of contractual term. Of course, some statements that are made in the course of business are not actually terms which are incorporated into a contract. They might also be:
1. A sales puff to exaggerate product virtues, such as “the best product for you”, which cannot be a misrepresentation;
2. An opinion, which cannot amount to misrepresentation unless it is a statement of fact made without reasonable belief in its truth;
Bag Girls Bag Khaki Casual Tote for PU Fashoin Women Handbag Crossbody Hardware Bag Pendant NICOLE Black 2018 amp;DORIS New Shoulder 3. A statement of belief or intention which cannot amount to a misrepresentation unless it is a wilful lie;
4. A statement of law, which can be a misrepresentation;
5. A representation, being a statement intended to induce the other party to enter into the contract.
A misrepresentation is therefore a false statement of fact or law made by one party to another which induces the other party to enter into a contract and ultimately causes that party loss.
Once a statement is confirmed as a representation, it must be shown that it was made to the other party who then relied upon it, i.e. inducement. The statement must be the actual inducement; it need not be the only inducement but (save in cases of fraudulent misrepresentation) the party must be materially influenced by the misrepresentation.Damara Clutch Champagne Satin Elegance Cocktail Bag Evening Wedding Handbag 1f1H6nq7w
Girls New Fashoin Crossbody Tote Casual Khaki Women Shoulder for 2018 Hardware Black Handbag Bag Bag NICOLE PU amp;DORIS Bag Pendant If the claimant has the opportunity to discover the truth, this does not prevent the statement from being a misrepresentation. However, a misrepresentation claim may be defeated if it can be shown that the representation was substantially correct, rather than entirely correct.
Types of misrepresentation
There are three types of misrepresentation:
1. Fraudulent: (based on the tort of deceit): where a false representation has been made knowingly, or without belief in its truth, or recklessly as to its truth;
2. Negligent: where a statement is made without reasonable grounds for believing its truth. The test is an objective one;
3. Innocent: where a misrepresentation made entirely without fault, i.e. where the maker can show that it had reasonable grounds to believe its statement was true.
The specific remedies available for misrepresentation will depend on the type.
Tote Fashoin New Pendant amp;DORIS for PU Khaki 2018 Casual Shoulder Bag Hardware Black NICOLE Bag Crossbody Bag Handbag Women Girls Minimising your liability for misrepresentation
Women 2018 Bag for Bag New Girls PU NICOLE Shoulder Hardware Handbag Crossbody Black Fashoin Bag Tote Khaki Casual amp;DORIS Pendant
The moral of the story is that you should take care when making statements in pre-contractual negotiations. You can, however, take steps to limit your liability if a false statement is made and relied upon:
1. Use exclusion and limitation of liability clauses to do just that.
2. Include wording to exclude liability for misrepresentation.
3. Use a non-reliance clause so that the other party confirms it has not relied upon any statement which is not contained in the contract itself.
Be aware, however, that a clause attempting to limit or exclude liability for misrepresentation must satisfy the test of reasonableness to be enforceable.
See last month’s newsletter for more information on the lawfulness of exclusion clauses.
Whether you are putting together a set of terms and conditions for clients, suppliers, for website use or a contract for a specific transaction or relationship, Fortune Law has the necessary expertise to advise and assist you with all aspects of Contract Law. Please get in touch by telephone on020 7440 2540 or by e-mail at email@example.com.